Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Crochet Stitch Tutorials











I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would post some explanations of how to do certain things that I found difficult when I first started out crocheting.  I may be dim-witted or something but there were just some things that I did not get until just recently even so here it goes.I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would post some explanations of how to do certain things that I found difficult when I first started out crocheting.  I may be dim-witted or something but there were just some things that I did not get until just recently even so here it goes.

Single crochet:  Let's say you have your foundation chain and you are about to start your first single crochet.  The first thing you need to know is if you are crocheting in a row for something like a scarf or a blanket, you will skip the first chain from your hook.  You NEVER count the chain that is wrapped around your hook as the first chain.  You will insert your hook into the second chain from the hook and go from there.  After you insert, yarn over or YO, which simply means to wrap the yarn around the hook then pull it through.  You will now have to loops on your hook.  Once you have the two loops on your hook then you will YO again and pull through both loops and there you have it, you have made your first single crochet or Sc.

Slip stitch (Sl St):  A slip stitch is used to close of a row.  All you do is insert your hook Yo, and pull the yarn through both loops on your hook then snip the yarn and pull the end all the way through.

Half double crochet (Hdc):  Remember the rule with the Sc, where you skip a chain?  Well you will do the same here when working in a row.  Similarly when moving to the second row in any work with any stitch, you will chain one or Ch 1 as your first stitch of the next row.  To start an Hdc, yarn over, insert hook, yarn over and pull through.  Then you will yarn over once more and pull through all three loops.  Now you have successfully created your first Hdc. Congratulations! 

Double crochet (Dc):  When starting out from a foundation row, you will skip two chains.  Yarn over, insert hook, Yo, and pull through.  You will have four loops on your hook.  Yo and pull through two loops.  Yo and pull through the remaining two loops.  This is a double crochet.  

Magic Ring:  This one threw me for a loop... No pun intended.  I could not figure it out from any of the diagrams or descriptions so I found this video that helped a lot! I was amazed at how easy it was.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

An increase or Inc is very simple.  All an increase is is crocheting in the same stitch that you crocheted on the previous stitch.  So you will be crocheting two stitches in one stitch from the previous row.  In other words, start by inserting your hook and make your first stitch of the increase then when you are finished insert your hook in the same spot as before and make your second stitch.  In a round, you will most commonly see a six Inc pattern that equal up to the total number of stitches for the row and  you will start with six stitches in your magic ring.  I.e.: 2 x 6 = 12.  So you will increase on every stitch around from your original six stitches.  Then the next would be 3 x 6 = 18, so you will Inc on the third stitch in the row.  The goal is a gradual widening of your round.

A decrease of Dec is the exact opposite of an inc.  All you will do is skip one stitch of the previous row.  This gives you a gradual narrowing of your round to close your sphere.  As with the Inc, you will work in multiples of six.

Chain 2 Method: The other way to start to work in a round is the Ch 2 method.  I like this method for beginners because it is easier to work with.  You have less of a chance of having multiple failures when first starting the ring.  What you do is create a slip stitch around your hook.  Then you will Ch 2.  In the second Ch from the hook, you will do six single crochets in that Ch then slip stitch to join the first and last Sc.  

If you are having any trouble with my descriptions, a website that I found helpful for most of these stitches is: www.stitchdiva.com

I hope this is helpful for anyone who is trying to learn how to crochet and I hope you grow to love it as much as I do!

No comments: