Anywho I find some beautiful paper that is dyed and sold locally. I figured I would give it a try to use this paper. Here is a peak of the paper.
When I saw this perfect paper, my mind started racing thinking of all the possibilities. Then I remembered my unused embroidery hoop. I thought about it for a second and then decided how brilliant I was. I skipped over to the area with the dowels and grabbed a package and ended up using 18, I think. Then I picked out my paint and my husband and walked over to the cash register with our hands and hearts full.
The first thing I did when assembling my sunburst is I took apart my embroider hoop and traced it on a piece of cardboard that came with the paper pack and on the backside of the paper itself.
The next thing I did was measure out the dowels. I started out with the four longest. You can make it as big as you want but I wanted mine pretty large because I have big empty 15-foot plaster walls. At first I cut three different sizes. Four 16-inch, four 13-inch, and eight 11 inch. I wanted the large ones to stick out 15 inches from the center, the medium to stick out 12 inches, and the small to stick out 10, so I added an extra inch to each dowel. i.e. 16-inch, etc. All I used was an old serrated knife to cut.
After I had all those cut I used some spray adhesive and attached the paper to the round cardboard that I cut. Then I set it aside and let it dry. Once I had that drying, I started painting. It took a few coats. In hind sight, I might sand lightly sand the dowels and embroidery hoop before I paint them. The sponge brush I used kept getting caught up on the rough edges. I had to use a couple of coats to cover them completely.
While those were drying, I used my ruler and found the exact center of the cardboard and paper round. I made a big X in the middle to use as a guide on the back for where to glue the dowels.
After the dowels and the inner part of the embroidery ring were completely dry, I hot glued all the pieces together. First I glued the paper and cardboard round to the embroidery ring then glued the longest four dowels using the X that I made previously as a guide. After that I eyeballed it.
Once I got them all on and took a look at it, it lacked something. There was no real Umph to it so I decided to add more dowels. These ones I cut at 9-1/2 inches. When I was putting them in between all of the 11-inch dowels to see how more would look, I discovered I really liked the two-toned burst look. This goes to show you that you should never have a completely unmovable picture of what you want made when you set out crafting. It is only once I did this that I fell in love with the look of the thing! After I glued all 16 dowels between all the gray ones, I figured I wanted the ring to be two-toned as well so I dis-assembled the outer embroider loop. All I did was tighten remove the screw all the way and take a blade and slowly and carefully lift the metal off of the wood. Then I glued the outer one (with a little piece of dowel to close the ring) on outside of the smaller ring and vuala! Beautiful sunburst! The very last thing I did was to glue a small piece of dowel I had left over to to be a nail perch. (This was only after I hung it on the wall to see how it looked to have it fall to the ground. A dowel fell off and I had to re-glue it. Bone head move... no doubt.)