Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Patriot?

Please forgive me for ranting and bringing up all these old news stories but today I felt a little overrun with somewhat uninformed political opinions. While I truly believe that every one should form their own opinions on these subjects and that they should make those opinions known during a conversation like this, I also believe that they should have it fully formed and be knowledgable about the subject.

The presidential race came up and someone brought up the fact that they hate Obama. That's fine they can go ahead and hate him all they want but they started spouting about how they would die if he was in office because he is so unpatriotic. They referenced the picture of Barack Obama not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem and the fact that he doesn't wear an American flag pin on his shirt. They said, "He refuses to state the pledge of allegiance or wear a pin on his shirt."

How dare he... Can you feel the sarcasm dripping from that question? I can.

I believe that patriotism isn't shown through visual acts such as those. I believe that patriotism is an action. Actions such as paying your taxes, respecting government authority (even if you don't agree with their policies), respecting officers, following the constitution, and following the laws. I do not believe that wearing a little aluminum flag pin on your lapel makes you more patriotic than the rest. I do not believe that etiquette like placing your hand over your heart makes you respectful to our country. After researching several reputable news web pages I found no substantiated documentation or video showing good old Barack refusing to pledge allegiance to our flag. This leads me to believe that it was just rumor.

Now that I am done ranting about uninformed opinions on situations, not policies, I can leave you with my thought on this rather delicate subject. If people choose not to like him as a nominee for president, I believe they should base those opinions on policy, not hearsay.

2 comments:

Marcene said...

Hey Linds, I'm with you. Patriotism is shown through actions and behaviors and your treatment of others not by clipping a pin. Patriotism comes from somewhere within and cannot always be evident outwardly. I am not an Obama supporter...however....I really ripped into someone(that I may be married to...or not)because this individual started repeating to me all the crap you mentioned above in your post. If you are going to not support a candidate let it be for valid reasons regarding their policies, not a bunch of drama cooked up by fearmongers.

Oh yeah, I love you too!

Britt said...

Amen, and amen.

We miss you guys. Hope the kitty issues are working out, and hiss at Hector a little for me.